You are ready to get your decking for your backyard or to make a change to your existing arrangement. The big question now is what material should you use? Wooden decks look marvelous and add a look of sophistication to your yard but you do have an alternative that can give you the same look: vinyl.
Choosing the best decking material is vital as it can boost the value of your property and ,of course, provide a place for you to entertain and relax. So let’s begin by looking at both materials and their advantages and disadvantages to help you make the right decision for your backyard and your needs.
Until recently, wood was pretty much the only choice that you had for backyard decking, so it was commonly the first option for everybody. Let’s have a look at its pros and cons.
- Wooden decks are beautiful.
- You can find wood that is specially treated to handle the pressures of the weather.
- Over time, wood becomes a safety hazard when it splits or rots. Splinters may appear.
- Wood is high maintenance and needs to be painted and sealed when installed, with paint jobs and re-sealing every other year.
- It can be quite expensive to find the perfect wood that not only looks beautiful but can live through harsh winters or long summers.
- Deforestation and environmental factors. The best wood comes from South America, where many forests, including the Amazon Rainforest, are in decline
- Bugs and insects can damage the wooden decking easily.
Within the last decade or so, vinyl decking has risen in popularity and become a competitive choice on the market. The material used can be steel, PVC, and recycled. Let’s have a look at why vinyl has fast become a top decking choice.
- It can be customized to have a wood-like appearance.
- It is low maintenance as it comes painted and ready to go. You still need to wash it periodically to keep the dirt and dust off, but it is much easier to maintain over time.
- It is hard wearing and lasts through harsh weather.
- It is typically cheaper than wood.
- A vinyl deck can’t be refinished. If damaged or worn, it may need to be replaced.
- Harsh chemicals may be needed to clean a dirty vinyl deck as opposed to wooden decks that usually have a special seal.
Now that we’ve looked at both choices, it makes the decision– vinyl deck vs. wood – a little bit easier. Factors such as maintenance and budget should be taken into consideration, along with how environmentally friendly your decking will be.
Best Vinyl is one of the leading vinyl deck companies in Utah. We only use the best decking material and aim to provide top customer service. With a lifetime warranty on the materials installed, you can be sure that only high-quality materials are used on your property.
There are so many benefits when you team up with Best Vinyl. You get a lifetime wind warranty, sprinkler protection, worry-free project tracker and the peace of mind that only the best materials are used.
For a free estimate contact the Best Vinyl friendly customer service team at the following locations: Davis County call (801)544-8863, in Utah County call (801)356-2233, or toll-free at 800-880-7293. You can also fill in our online form and we will contact you.